Hawker Hurricane Mk.IV
Second war fighter version Mk.IV,
in Karel Kuttelwascher's Mk.IIc day livery
Year of manufacture
km / h
Number of persons
About the Plane
The Hurricane was commissioned into the RAF in 1937 and flew in eighteen squadrons since the start of the Second World War. Achieving fame for his role in the Battle of Britain, however, Hurricane continued his service in virtually every battle during World War II. The Hurricane, designated IV, entered service in 1943. It was an offensive version against ground targets with four 20mm guns. The Mk.IV designation was fitted with a Merlin 24 or 27 engine, optimized for operation in hot climates, and a three-bladed propeller. This version was also fitted with a new wing that could carry two bombs, eight "60 pounder" rockets, or a 40mm gun as required. A total of 794 of this version were built, plus conversions from other versions. Less than 15 of the 14,583 originally produced are currently airworthy, and one of the last is in the Mk.IV version.
505 km / h
344 km / h
Rolls-Royce Merlin 24
1,640 HP / 1,222 kW
135 l / h
Weight of empty machine
Take - off weight
Number of passengers
History of KZ321
KZ321 is a Hawker Hurricane Mk.IV. This particular piece was produced by Hawker Aircraft Ltd at the famous Kingston-upon-Thames factory between 20 November 1942 and 19 April 1943. It was produced as part of the eighth production run of 1,200 aircraft, ordered by the Air Ministry under order number 62305/39/C parts 1 to 6 were completed as tropical versions. After production and storage in a warehouse, this unit was assigned to service with the RAF's No 6 Sqn at Grottaglie, Italy. The squadron was transferred to the Balkan Air Force four months later at the Canne site in Greece. It operated in various detachments in Greece, Italy and Yugoslavia. The entire 6 Squadron was finally moved on 9 April to Prkos, again in Yugoslavia. It remained at this location until Victory Day.
After the war, the unit was moved to Palestine and Nicosia, and all the time the squadron flew Mk.IV versions, including this aircraft. This was the last RAF frontline unit to use the war veteran Hawker Hurricane. However, it appears that this Hurricane was scrapped before 15 January. Almost a wreck marked by the ravages of time, the aircraft was discovered on a kibbutz in Jaffa, Israel by Doug Arnold's Warbirds of GB Ltd in 1983. Squadron 6 left the Israeli base at Ein Shemer and moved to Nicosia, Cyprus in September 1946. Returning to the UK in 1983, the fighter remained stored first at Blackbush and then at Biggin Hill until it was acquired by The Fighter Collection in 1991.
The Hurricane was transferred to Duxford and was eventually handed over to Suffolk-based Hawker Restorations Ltd in early 2001 for conversion to airworthy condition. The extensive refurbishment brought the aircraft to a 'zero hour' condition, using both original and refurbished and possibly remanufactured components. The aircraft subsequently flew at The Fighter Collection in Duxford, UK under the civilian registration G-HURY. It was acquired by Heritage Wings of Canada in March 2006. KZ321 is the last existing Hurricane Mk. IV.
Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc BE 150
The first personal Hurricane of Karl M. Kuttelwascher's Mk.IIc version with four 20mm cannons was the serial number BE150, traditionally marked with the code JX-E. It was first flown by Karel Kuttelwascher, a member of the 1st RAF Squadron at Tangmere, on 14 September 1941 and his last flight in it was in early January 1942. Although he did not achieve any aerial victories with it, his operational activity in this aircraft was varied, consisting of patrolling over enemy territory, escorting Lysander aircraft on diversionary operations, and attacking ships and ground targets by day and night.
Much of the flying was devoted to training in interaction with twin-engine Douglas Havocs, as well as intensive night flying, which included practice in low-visibility takeoffs and landings-so-called ZZ landings-and group flying. Karel Kuttelwascher flew over 100 operational hours in the BE 150. The aircraft has also been flown by famous fighters Bedřich Krátkoruký, Otto Pavlů, Josef Dygrýn and Václav Kopecký.
In January 1942, Karel Kuttlewascher received a new Hurricane MkIIc - the famous BE 581 - as a replacement for the BE 150.
The BE 150 was produced in the sixth production run by Hawker Hawker Aircraft limited at Langley and Brooklands. It was powered by the Merlin XX engine and was delivered from 24 July 1941 to 18 March 1942. Average production was 5-6 aircraft per day. The production series BE 130 to BE 174 included 45 Mk.IIc aircraft armed with four 20mm Hispano guns each with 90 rounds per gun.
The aircraft were delivered to the unit in the so-called Day Fighter scheme, a new RAF fighter livery introduced during the summer of 1941. The upper surfaces are painted in a combination of Ocean Sea Grey and Dark Green, the lower surfaces Medium Sea Grey. By this time only one variant of the livery was in use - Pattern A. The identification stripe, propeller cone and JX E code markings are in Sky. The aircraft bears the Type A1 markings used in 1941.
We have chosen this livery for our Hurricane because it represents Karel Kuttelwascher's personal aircraft and was also flown by other Czechoslovak pilots in the famous 1st Squadron of the RAF.
This aircraft is not the later Hawker Hurricane "Night Reaper", but the earlier daytime K. Kuttelwascher's