top of page
Lockheed Electra před hangárem LKTC

About the airport and the Točná Aviation Museum

On March 31, 1946, Točná Airport was founded and its extensive story began to be written. In 2021, it celebrated its 75th anniversary.


From the 1920s onwards, the slope above Zbraslav was occasionally used by unpowered aircraft. In 1934, a branch of the Masaryk Aviation League was established in Modřany, which used the surrounding slopes for gliding. In the spring of 1946, the Gliding Training Centre of the Czech National Aero Club (ČNA) was established at Toča and at the same time the construction of the airport was started on the land where it is still located today.


A year later, in 1947, the club acquired a Polikarpov Po-2 powered aircraft and later Aero C-104 and Piper Cub aircraft from US Army surplus. From a few gliders in the early postwar years, the fleet quickly grew to over twenty unpowered aircraft by the early 1950s.


The Zbraslav Sports Airport was also built nearby, and traffic was split between the two areas in the late 1940s and early 1950s. Gliders flew at Tocka, while at Zbraslav it was mainly powered aircraft. However, Zbraslav airport was closed in 1955. In 1951 the Voluntary Association of People's Aviation DOSLET was founded, which was incorporated in 1953 into the Union for Cooperation with the Army (Svazarm), founded on the model of the Soviet organization DOSAAF as a conscription organization preparing youth for service in the army. The Svazarm Točná Aeroclub became a part of the Svazarm and could thus benefit from significant state support for this activity.


Throughout the 1950s, the airport was the scene of intensive gliding activity. From the sixties onwards, the share of powered flying began to grow and the first helicopters began to appear, on which training was also carried out in the first half of the seventies, including training for night landings on the illuminated heliport.


From 1989 onwards, traffic at the airport slowly ceased. Moreover, unresolved relations with the owners of the land under the runway led to the runway being shortened to 550 metres. In 2010, the airport was closed so that a complete reconstruction could begin with the aim of creating a facility for a collection of airworthy historic aircraft. The new owner, resolved the land issues and the airport was able to open in 2011 with its longest runway ever at 870 metres.


Today, the airport operates as a museum of airworthy historic aircraft that collectively commemorate our state's history, aviation personalities and the aviation industry.

bottom of page